Tuesday, November 19, 2013

8th Workshop on Logical and Semantic Frameworks, with Applications (LSFA 2013)

lsfa2013-smaller.JPG
The Workshop on Logical and Semantic Frameworks is a series of conferences in Brazil that I like to support.

As I read in their 'about us' page:

"LSFA is a series of Meetings on Logical and Semantic Frameworks with Applications. Logical and semantic frameworks are formal languages used to represent logics, languages and systems. These frameworks provide mathematical foundations for formal specification of systems and programming languages, supporting tool development and reasoning. The objective of this series is to put together theoreticians and practitioners to promote new techniques and results, from the theoretical side, and feedback on the implementation and use of such techniques and results, from the practical side."

It could've been be a bit less underspecified, methinks.

I have never been invited speaker or even invited for their programme committee, which is a surprise, as it is exactly my kind of work.
and many of the organizers are my long-standing friends...

But still I think the idea is a good one, so once again I "paid to work", instead of being paid to do it.
hmm, this is not strictly true, as I guess this is what the Brazilian CAPES funding agency  gave me a "Ciencia Sem Fronteiras" award for.
Vagaries of the Brazilian funding system and its implementation, perhaps.

I  talked about work that I did with mathematicians Charles Morgan and Samuel Gomes da Silva on Natural Numbers Objects in Dialectica Categories.

This is very interesting stuff, and the guys promised that they're writing up a more mathematical version of our content.
From my part I'd like to do the other two bits of work that we thought we would do; applications of the Dialectica construction
1. to cardinalities of the continuum and
2. to the 'laxification' of topological spaces.

Yep, I definitely need to write some of this work up and I need to put up, somewhere, all the dozens of other talks I've given that I have not written up. yet.
I guess discarded slides might end up being the notebooks of the scholars of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment