Sunday, February 24, 2013

Five finger exercise

Usually I have a (sometimes hidden) connection between pictures and the contents of posts. Not today. I just like this picture of when Eric was shorter than Anna.

I'm afraid I don't remember where or when it was taken. It might be Ashland, Oregon or it might be Nottingham. UK. I had a mini-sabbatical there in 2010 for which I have not thanked my friend Natasha Alechina well enough. Another day.

Today I want to attach a short paper on nominalizations or deverbals in Portuguese. The idea was to adapt the NOMLEX lexicon to Portuguese, as a baseline for work like the one I did with Olya Gurevich, Tracy King and Dick Crouch on deverbals for knowledge representation. That paper won an award for the best student co-authored  paper in FLAIRS 2006, because Olya rocks and she was a student then.

The Portuguese deverbals paper unfortunately was rejected for a big meeting in Istanbul. I don't think it's that bad. I thought I might send it to a Brazilian AI conference, but I got talking about it to a new friend, Claudia Freitas,  and she has a much better way forward...So I hope we will sort it out properly. Meanwhile I am attaching it here so that I don't forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment